Victorians are slapped with even HARSHER lockdown restrictions and threatened with huge $1,652 fines if they break the rules
- Victorians will be fined $1,652 if they exercise too far away from their homes
- Rresidents on lockdown in Melbourne should not leave their neighbourhood
- Previously Premier Daniel Andrews said residents could take exercise anywhere
Victorians will be fined $1,652 if they exercise too far away from their homes during lockdown.
The state government has said residents on lockdown in Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire should not leave their neighbourhood.
‘Unreasonable travel would include travel within the restricted area to exercise or outdoor recreation where that type of exercise can be done closer to home,’ the government said.
Previously Premier Daniel Andrews said residents could take exercise anywhere as long as they did not leave metropolitan Melbourne.
Victorians will be fined $1,652 if they exercise too far away from their homes during lockdown. Pictured: Residents walk in Carlton Gardens
Melburnians exercise along Elwood Beach on Tuesday (pictured) as the city suffers a six-week lockdown due to a spike in infections
The clarification comes after the state recorded 317 new cases of coronavirus on Thursday, its worst total so far.
Just 28 of the new cases announced on Thursday were connected to known outbreaks, while the sources of the other 289 were being investigated.
The state has 160 outbreaks ongoing, including in offices, aged care homes and schools.
There are 157 cases now linked to Al-Taqwa College and six cases linked to HWL Ebsworth lawyers in Melbourne.
Premier Daniel Andrews was not yet prepared to move to draconian Stage-4 lockdowns but said Melburnians must be vigilant if that was to be prevented.
‘It’s well too early for us to be moving to a whole new stage,’ he said.
‘If you want to make that less likely, if you want to get out of these sort of restrictions as fast as as possible, then we all have to play our part.’
Victoria Police issued $107,000 in fines in 24 hours leading up to Thursday’s announcement, many to people who were at illegal parties. Gatherings of more than two are banned in Melbourne.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the numbers may get worse.
‘We not have hit our peak,’ he said.
But he was hopeful that the figures will come down once the lockdown kicks in.
‘I expect it to turn around this week. But as I always said, it’s no guarantee,’ he said.